My Peace Pledge
Here are 20 ways I can make our world a better place.
1. Make a personal commitment to nonviolence.
2. When you see someone in trouble, whether he or she is lost, confused, upset, or has fallen, don’t act like you don’t see the person – provide some help.
3. Show a child how to achieve calmness through deep breathing.
4. Show a child how to be kind to animals.
5. Show a child how to be kind to vulnerable people – the homeless, those with physical or cognitive disabilities, older people, and anyone else that appears different to the child.
6. Speak out against prejudice and discrimination when you see it.
7. When you feel angry, count to ten before saying anything. Then, ask yourself what response will be best for the greater good.
8. When you feel slighted, ask yourself if what happened was really about you or if it was about the other person.
9. When you realize that it was about the other person, find in your heart some compassion for that person, realizing that he or she is most surely struggling.
10. Regard people who hurt your feelings as your personal teachers of how to maintain a peaceful nature.
11. If you are a member of a religious community, ask how you can get more involved in promoting peace through its programs and ministries.
12. If you are not a member of a religious community, find a not-for-profit community organization that works toward peaceful communities and volunteer. To get started, search the directory at GuideStar.
13. Share with children What Kids Can Do on Stopbullying.gov .
14. Choose a career that yields only good things for our families, our communities, and our planet.
15. Look people in the eye and smile when you pass them on the street. Better yet, actually say, “Hello.”
16. Become trained in mental health first aid so you can respond to people in mental distress. To learn more about this concept and how to become trained, read my post on this topic.
17. Serve on committees and task forces that work to make your neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces safer.
18. Celebrate successes in the quest for peace and nonviolence.
19. Don’t hide from life. Have faith that there is still an abundance of good in this world.
20. Please share this list with others.
Written by Author Carrie Steckl, Ph.D.